Monday, March 28, 2016

Adam Carolla with Richardo Baca and Willie B. at The Paramount Theatre in Denver, CO on 3/25/16

I am an Adam Carolla fan.  I listen to his podcast daily.  I quote his insightful and hilarious outlook on the world constantly.  It amazes me how he can create a complete comedy routine about almost any subject off the top of his head.  When it was announced there was going to be a live podcast of the Adam Carolla Show in the Mile High City, I had to to be there.



Adam Carolla
Since I have been listening to his podcast since it's conception in 2009, I feel like I know every member of his crew personally.  Side-kick/sound-effects man Bald Bryan, news girl Gina Grad, and announcer Dawson all seem like friends that I have never met.

The audience was mostly guys like me except a little younger and their girlfriend and wives.  Adam Carolla's signature cocktail Mangria was sold out to the thirsty crowd before the show even started.  Keeping it classy Denver.

Carolla started the podcast with a rant about the 16th Street Mall homeless people he saw on his way to the taping.  Since it was snowing that night, he wondered why a drifter would choose Denver instead of a warmer climate.  Carolla came to the realization that altitude mixed with alcohol is a powerful cheap incentive for a bum to reside here "getting drunk on a thimble full of Jagermeister."

Willie B. and Adam Carolla
He interviewed KBPI's Morning Radio Show's Willie B.  Carolla asked him about his racing television show Pinks.  The show is about auto enthusiasts racing against each other for the their car (pink slip).  This made Adam go into a narrative questioning if the participants of the show would rather have the winner sleep with their girlfriends than giving away their precious automobiles.

Richardo Baca and Adam Carolla
About two weeks before the taping, I reached out to the podcast and suggested Richardo Baca as a guest for the live taping.  Baca is the Marijuana Editor of The Denver Post who is in a documentary about Colorado's first year of legal weed called Rolling Papers.  I knew Baca since he was a music critic and thought he would be someone Carolla's audience would find engaging.  The Adam Carolla Show staff liked my suggestion and booked him on the show.   I am still in shock that happened and riding some kind of non legal weed high.   While interviewing Baca, Carolla shared the story how a THC Stripe enhanced his experience of watching the Sarah Jessica Parker Classic Sex in the City 2.  This was accompanied by a TMZ clip his crew found on the web showing Carolla and his The Man Show co-host Jimmy Kimmel staggering out of theater looking and acting like Snoop Dog.  Bacca added to the discussion with his own weed related stories and facts which is no easy task with Adam's fast paced rants.


Richardo Baca, Adam Carolla, and Gina Grad
One of the funniest improvisational moments came from Carolla finding out a man in the front row was a satellite television installer.  Adam Carolla went into an elaborate scheme how television providers can play with their customer's emotions by pretending there is an issue with their installation.  I wish I could describe it as well as Adam Carolla, but that's why he gets the big bucks and I write this blog.

When Carolla left the stage, the show wasn't over.  The audience was given the opportunity to meet Adam Carolla and his crew.  A line formed and we anxiously waited for him to appear.  The staff at The Paramount Theatre didn't know what was happening.  All they know was they were not going home any time soon.

R&R Princess, Adam Carolla, Old Guy
Adam Carolla appeared in the front of the lobby.  They had a smart efficient way to get through the line quickly. By using their own photographer and posting the pictures to Facebook, he didn't have to wait for camera instructions and flashes to work.  When it was our turn, we took the pictures in a nervous silence and I muttered something to him about how much I love the show.  I am not really sure if it was English.
Bald Bryan and Old Guy


"Bald" Bryan Bishop was also out greeting fans.  I told him that he was one of the funniest parts of the podcast and his book Shrinkage about his battle with a brain tumor was inspiring.  But I think it came out more like, "You funny.   Book good."  I get jittery.

Gina Grad and Old Guy
Gina Grad was out in the lobby and couldn't be friendlier to the fans.  I told her she was a great additional to the show.  But I think it came out something like, "You show.  Good."  I was still nervous.

Old Guy and Dawson
Sitting back in the wings was the voice of The Carolla Digital Network Mike Dawson.  I told him that he was my favorite part of a side podcast named The Water Cooler featuring the staff of The Adam Carolla Show.  He was surprised anyone listened to the show.  Dawson stated he felt so old being 42 compared to the younger members of the crew.  Since I am the Old Guy at the Show, I thought that was amusing.

See you at the next show.  I will be the one next to Adam Carolla.










No comments:

Post a Comment